As with other foreign destinations, there’s plenty to see and do. There are also several pieces of advice that will come in particularly handy for first time visitors. Read through our Hong Kong Travel Blog in order to gain a better understanding of the local culture, the best sights and other important travel tips.
Famous for its impressive skyline and naturally deep harbour, Hong Kong is also one of the most densely populated cities in the world. A former British colony, Hong Kong offers its guests everything from thrill rides at Ocean Park to spectacular views of the harbour from The Peak skyscraper. Between shopping at the night market, entertainment at Disney Hong Kong and the busy Ladies’ Market, there is never a dull moment here!
Hong Kong Travel Blog Tips and Tourist Hints
- Documentation: Whenever travelling to any foreign country, it is of utmost importance that you keep all relevant documentation handy and safe. When walking around Hong Kong, you should keep your passport and other travel documents on you but be sure to keep them in a bag separate from your other goods and be careful of pickpockets. When booking your hotel, ask about reserving a room with a built in safe where you can store additional documentation, travellers’ checks and any extra cash you may have.
- Swimming: Several hotels in Hong Kong have swimming facilities and there are several beaches in the area as well. If you are visiting during swimming season, make sure that you pack sunscreen and your swimsuit. The best time to visit is between March and May. September to December is probably the busiest time of year so, if you wish to plan your trip during this time, you will need to book your airfare and accommodation in advance.
- Medical: Be sure that all of your usual vaccines are up to date and get a booster shot before your trip. In particular, make sure that you have immunized against Hepatitis A and B. A flu shot is also recommended before visiting Hong Kong. Especially in the winter months. Ensure that you have comprehensive medical coverage for the duration of your trip and rest assured that Hong Kong medical care and hospitals are some of the very best in the world.
- Public restrooms: You will find public restrooms everywhere. However, you should always carry tissues or serviettes with you since these restrooms are not always stocked.
- Smoking: Like many countries throughout the world, there are laws regarding smoking in Hong Kong and you are not permitted to do so in any kind of public transport vehicle as well as many public areas. Check the local laws to avoid any problems in this regard.
- Water and food: The tap water in Hong Kong conforms to the World Health Organisation’s standards for drinking-water quality. Remember that the different cuisine and methods of food preparation can cause some travellers to experience digestive issues. If you have a particularly sensitive stomach, then rather consume bottled drinks and avoid fatty or fried foods to make it easier for your body to adjust.
Read More Read More Read More Read More Read More Read More Read More